This page provide details of the various presentations which have been provided to local and national societies and institutions by members of the project team.You can find videos of a recent seminar given by Dr Gabor Thomas at the University of Reading Archaeology department seminar series here.
Presentations by Dr Gabor Thomas
- September 2012: End of Dig lecture to Lyminge Historical Society: ‘Summary of excavations at Lyminge 2012’.
- Thursday 24th January 2013: Department of Archaeology Seminar Series, University of Reading: ‘An Anglo-Saxon Monastic Landscape Explored: Past, Present and Future Excavations at Lyminge, Kent’.
- Friday 15th March 2013: ‘Ploughing Ahead’ Conference, Oxford University: ‘The Lyminge Coulter: a provisional assessment of a discovery unique to early Anglo-Saxon England’.
- March 23rd 2013: Leverhulme funded ‘Converting the Isles’ colloquium in Bangor, Wales: ‘Marsh, Downland and Weald: monastic foundation and rural intensification in Anglo-Saxon Kent’
- August 2013: End of Dig lecture to Lyminge Historical Society: ‘Lyminge excavations 2013’.
- 7-11 September 2013: Presented at ‘Dying Gods: Religious beliefs in northern and eastern Europe in the time of Christianisation’ 64th Internationales Sachsensymposion, Paderborn, Germany: A window on Christianisation: Transformation at Anglo-Saxon Lyminge, Kent.
- 10th May 2014: 49th International Congress on Medieval Studies, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI, USA: ‘A Window on Early Medieval Christianization: The Social Dynamics of Monastic Foundation at Anglo-Saxon Lyminge, Kent.’
- 3rd June 2014: York Medieval Seminar, Centre for Medieval Studies, King’s Manor, York.
- 29th August 2014: Lyminge Historical Society end of 2014 season review.
- 8th October 2014: Royal Archaeological Institute, Society of the Antiquaries, London: ‘Places of Power and the Conversion of Anglo-Saxon Kent: New Archaeological Perspectives from Lyminge, Kent.’
- 23rd February 2015: Cambridge Medieval Archaeology Seminar Series, McDonald Institute, University of Cambridge.
- 16th April 2015: Holleyman Lecture, University of Sussex: ‘A Portal to the Anglo-Saxon Past: Village Core Excavations at Bishopstone and Lyminge and their significance for Anglo-Saxon Settlement Studies.’
- 6th May 2015: British Archaeological Association, Society of the Antiquaries, London: ‘Places of Power and the Making of Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms: New Archaeological Perspectives from Lyminge, Kent.’
- 23rd May 2015: Sutton Hoo Society annual Basil Brown Lecture, Woodbridge: ‘The Archaeology of Lyminge, Kent.’
Presentations by Dr Alexandra Knox
- Saturday 20th October 2012: Council for Kentish Archaeology Conference, Christchurch Canterbury University: Recent research on Anglo-Saxon Kent. ‘Monastic foundation and the Christianisation of the Anglo Saxon Kent A review of recent excavations at Lyminge’.
- Thursday, 8th November 2012: Society for Medieval Archaeology Student Colloquium, University of Cardiff. ‘Expressions of belief in Anglo-Saxon settlements: the application of a holistic approach to recent excavations at Lyminge, Kent’.
- Wednesday 20th February 2013: Christchurch Canterbury University, Department of History and American Studies Seminar Series. ‘Anglo-Saxon Lyminge: from royal vill to double monastery’.
- Saturday 2nd March 2013: Current Archaeology Conference, Senate House, London. ‘Anglo-Saxon Lyminge: from royal vill to monastic foundation’.
- Friday 20th September 2013: Elham Historical Society, Elham, Kent. ‘Anglo-Saxon Lyminge: A review of recent excavations at Lyminge, Kent’.
- Monday 18th November 2013: Ashford Archaeological and Historical Society, Ashford, Kent. ‘Anglo-Saxon Lyminge: A review of recent excavations at Lyminge, Kent’.
- Friday 7th February 2014: Historical Association, Reading, Berks. ‘An Anglo-Saxon settlement at Lyminge, Kent: excavations from 2008 to 2013′.
- Wednesday 23rd May 2014, University of the 3rd Age, Rochester Guildhall Museum, Rochester, Kent. ‘An Anglo-Saxon settlement at Lyminge, Kent: Excavations from 2008-2013’.
- Sunday 1st June 2014, Reculver Visitors Centre, Reculver, Kent. ‘An Anglo-Saxon settlement at Lyminge, Kent: Excavations from 2008-2013’.
- Tuesday 10th June 2014, University of the 3rd Age, Rochester Guildhall Museum, Rochester, Kent. ‘An Anglo-Saxon settlement at Lyminge, Kent: Excavations from 2008-2013’.
- Wednesday 1st April 2015, Wye Historical Society, Wye, Kent. ‘An Anglo-Saxon Settlement at Lyminge, Kent’.
- Saturday 9th May 2015, Kent History Federation One Day Conference, Village Hall, Elham, Kent. ‘An Anglo-Saxon Settlement at Lyminge, Kent’.
Presentations by Rosie Cummings
- Thursday 21st February 2013: Friends of the Canterbury Archaeological Trust Symposium 2013, Canterbury and East Kent in the Early Medieval Period: ‘Early Medieval East Kent: The Lyminge Archaeological Project’.
Presentations by Zoe Knapp
- Tuesday 10th March 2015, Institute of Archaeology and British Museum Medieval Seminar Series, UCL, London. ‘Monastic life, a ‘fishy’ business? Changing human-animal relationships in Anglo-Saxon Lyminge’.
- Sunday 26th April 2015, Early Medieval Monasticism in the North Sea Zone Conference, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent. ‘Changing Tastes: Investigating feasting and fasting in Anglo-Saxon Lyminge.’.